HMV – INTERIOR

My biggest inspiration when it comes to spacial design, colour and pattern is Morag Myerscough. I have been idolising her and her work ever since I came across her in first year, as I had to create an after effects moving image featuring a quote by her for the ‘inspire me’ project. Though I hated the project and I wasn’t pleased with the final outcome I loved her work.

I also discovered throughout my research Camille Walala. I mainly known her for the colourful building by Old Street. I love that building – I guess this goes without saying. I looked her up and some other work that she’s done.

The steps and lines in her interior work inspired the interior visuals for ‘the hues’

I looked at a few decorative stores as well, like Forever 21 on Oxford Street

colorstore6

colorstore4

However the biggest inspiration in terms of simplicity and visual effectiveness were these. Especially the bottom images, heavily inspired me and I used  Stephane Malka Architecture’s design as my main reference.

I was also reaching back to personal experiences (venues and places I usually go to or visited in support of my project) like Junkyard Golfclub, Funhouse Croydon and Box Park.

The Beginning

I felt quite threatened by beginning the design process for the interior. I could picture what I wanted the walls to look like but I didn’t know how to present it/design it that it will effectively communicate and translate a visual message.

Ansel noticed that I was a little put off and lost with regards to this. I spoke to him about it and said I didn’t know where to begin. He just looked at me and said ‘BEGIN’.

One of the most valuable feedback I have received ever. Just begin,. Somewhere. Anywhere. And it will eventually through trial and error and many experiments I will get to a point where I can critically view my work and realise what works and what doesn’t. But I had to begin.

I started with the only way I knew it could be effective to start. I started sketching.

Truthfully, I didn’t know any better but to illustrate an interior in a 3D way. My sketches didn’t feel very effective but it was a starting point.

After that I had to figure out how to digitalise this.

I was primarily working in illustrator. I feel very comfortable with the software, however I just wasn’t sure how to visualise and translate the 2D sketches in a way that is effectively represented on the screen.

I tried to find a few tutorials in hope of learning new ways and methods to present my work and actually look good.

This was one of the videos I watched. The technicality of it wouldn’t have been an issue, but it required a lot of time, and seen as I still had to experiment with regards to ‘the wall design’ – what colours and patterns to go on it, just didn’t seem very effective.

However out of separation this is what I came up with

What can I say….this looked awful.

I took some elements from the tutorial I named above and the simplicity of that visual looks great. This on the other hand…just wasn’t right.

I knew I needed help, advice and feedback – although I was slightly dreading to show this to anyone. This visual presentation is just way too busy and too much on the eyes. Even though I designed it, I’m not even sure where to look within the image to find the effective visual translation and connection to the context of my project. Just appears to be a poorly presented burst of random colours and patterns.

The Wakening

I missed my allocated time slot. I was meant to have my 1-2-1 session with Ansel on Monday. I couldn’t make it. Didn’t have an excuse, other than I wasn’t able to put together a deck I was happy to present. Truthfully I was having some personal issues going on at the time, and I just fell into a depressive phase. I was unmotivated. Lost interest for all the things I normally enjoy, I was moody and gloomy. It was hard to get out of bed. I was constantly sleepy and my body felt heavy. Classic symptoms. I get like this at times, I know that. And I also know that the only way to get better and feel better is to force myself out of bed. Give myself that hard push I need to get back on my feet and get on with things.

I was stressed and quite ashamed to go in the next day. I remember during the editorial brief I was able to get some extra feedback because I dropped by on another day (the last day) when it wasn’t my allocated time, in hope of being able to see either Peter or Ansel.

This time seemed to be slightly different. Just a bit over a week until our hand in, Ansel was busy feeding back to others. He said that if I want to be seen I have to wait ( I was happy to) and even so he can’t guarantee. I should’ve attended at the time given to me.

Ansel had to rush home. He apologised for not being able to see me and it was completely fine. I was optimistic and hoped that I might be able to see Peter.

I stuck around and waited. When peter finished with everyone else I asked if he could spare a few minutes. He was happy to. I was over the moon.

Firstly, I had a lovely catch up and chat with him. His kind words and support were really heart warming and just what I needed to hear. I was so happy.

He gave me some really good feedback. He was pleased with the work I produced, gave me advice on how to lay things out and minor changes to make here and there. When it came to the interior he suggested the most simple yet most brilliant idea. I felt so stupid that I didn’t think of this. ‘You’re a 2D designer, I like that, I am the same…So play at your strength! Why don’t you illustrate the wall and floor plan 2D?’ then he drew a two rectangles and a square and titled them – Wall, Wall, Floor. It all made sense and it was the best advice I could have got.

He also mentioned a few references for me to look at.

Now I knew what I had to do and I was ready to ‘smash it’.

References

Proud Creative

https://proudcreative.com

Peter specifically named and referred to their work that they have done for a barber shop. Huckle the Barber. Peter named it as a reference because they demonstrated the visuals for the exterior of the shop in a 2D digital format. He wanted to show me, how it is done effectively.

Later that day I carried on browsing through their work and page. I found so many great references and inspiration in their style and designs.

Icon Magazine Rethink, Rhyl

Their work amazed me. It was exactly the aesthetics and style that I was going for. I felt a bit silly and confused how I haven’t come across them before throughout my research and search for inspiration. One way or another What mattered is that (thanks to Peter) I now discovered them and turn to inspiration and learn from the work they create/created.

Semaphore boat

This is another project that showed me and inspired my 2D flat plan. I was looking at how they feature and showcase their work in an effective way that it translates a clear message and link between brief, design, problem and solution.

Spin

https://spin.co.uk

Though Spin has a quiet ‘futuristic’ style and they mainly do 3D motion graphics based on their portfolio, Peter pointed out their work they’ve done for UCA – University of the Creative Arts.

I recognised the design. I was considering UCA when I was applying for uni.

Uca Wallgraphics Rochester Spinstudio 2
Uca Wallgraphics Rochester Spinstudio 4

The way they presented their worked showed me that once I created the 2D flat plan – like Proud Creative would do it – I can and should use a mock up / template to feature a ‘real life’ visual experience.

Craig & Carl

A few months ago ARTO LIFE WTR appeared on the shelves. I still remember the first time I came across this interesting platform for artist. I was on my way to work and I was leaving King’s Cross tube station, when I walked past WH Smith. These colourful and creative bottles stood out straight away. The designs were so amazing I straight away got one. Eventually I started collecting them.

bottle-image_craigkarl

My favourite of that series was this one, and was the first one I bought. Just fell in love with the colours and pattern.

I never realised until now, when peter asked me wether I have heard of Craig & Carl, that in fact they have designed this.

Ever since Craig & Carl have been one of my biggest inspiration.

Peter named them as a reference mainly for this display project, but also because he thought that I would really like them. He couldn’t have been more right.

Further experiments

Now that I was equipped with great feedback and references I began to experiment.

I was using illustrator to create different layouts, pattern and colour combinations.

It was a fun process. In fact I ended up staying up all night playing around.

Here are some of my best experiments for the flat plan. (once again I lost some of these experiments and was unable to recover them). Once I created a great range of 2D visuals I downloaded and a Photoshop template of an empty room and began to place some of the designs I found most effective into a ‘real life visual’.

Empty room with a dark gray wall mockup
Empty room with a dark gray wall mockup
Empty room with a dark gray wall mockup

I was experimenting and playing around. I tried to feature floor signage as well. In some cases it worked, however in most cases it didn’t give a very good visual.

I eventually decided to chose these layouts, designs as my final.

Empty room with a gray wall mockup
Empty room with a gray wall mockup

I chose these as my finals because they were simple but catchy enough. Not too busy and not too overwhelming in terms of colour due to me leaving some ‘white space’. I always thought the more colour the better, but sometimes it is nice to see some white, especially with regards to so many and such a large space of colour. This way the colours and shapes didn’t get lost but more enhanced and highlighted