HMV – GOING OUT / PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

My initial research involved physical and visual experiences. I visited 2 HMV stores and other social places whom target audience is young adults like myself.

The HMV experience:

Curzon – The word curzon was completely new to me. The layout of the cinema was very unappealing. a very average and uninviting staircase led upstairs. The designs and prints on the walls were boring. The upstairs cafe bit was designed better, however I didn’t get as far as actually going in to ask questions. I got put off by how quiet the place was. People who I assume worked there noticed me but the vibe of the place was very off-putting.

Westfield Store – The outside and display of the store was as uninviting as the interior. The large and unorganised stereos above the front door reminded me of Boomtown Festival, but instead of being ‘funky’ and ‘fun’ it was almost like the vibes and aesthetics of Boomtown entered an alternative universe and the colourful, hedonist turned into a depressed goth. The inside was dark. No colour other than that unreasonable shade of pink used in the logo. The store layout was no better. Filled with unnecessary and irrelevant junk out of desperation to attract more people. I felt anxious and a little depressed because of the colour scheme and lighting in the store but at the same time awfully confused and not knowing what to look at and where to look for it in the endless line of junk. I noticed the genres and music classification was very off as well. There was no way of finding anything as about two third of vinyls were categorised as ‘pop & rock’.

After taking pictures and looking around I went up to the staff, hoping to ask a few questions. The guy who I spoke to seemed suspicious to me. He was very defensive, in denial about how badly the company is doing and extremely rude. All in all terrible experience. I wasn’t sure where to begin. The realisation hit me, almost everything about this business needs to be changed.

Fun Places through Personal Experience:

Fun House – I regularly go out in Croydon. I have a fair few friends who live there. Since our ‘regular place’ closed its doors a few years ago we have been going to Fun House. Obviously there’s music and alcohol, but there’s so much more. Funky designs and paintings on the walls with lots of colours. Activities such as table tennis, bee-pong and a giant ball-pit.

Junkyard Golf Club & Puttshack – Both of these are mini-golf places. Though Puttshack is a more adult/elegant version of the very extreme and youth targeting Junkyard, both of these places are colourful, loud, fun places that are heavily decorated with paintings, pattern and sculptures. All the mini golf paths and section have their own aesthetics.

Boomtown – Probably the most fun and ‘magical’ festival I have ever been to. Boomtown heavily attracts young adults, but there are people of all ages attending. Even families with young kids. The appreciation is not only for the music but the tremendous amount of work that goes into set design. It’s colourful, fun and vibrant.

Analysis:

The list could go on and on of places, businesses, shops and events that are very popular especially for young adults. I don’t need to list them all, these few examples are enough to analyse why they are so popular and what is common about them. They are all ‘funky’ places. Colourful and edgy with lots of pattern, type and illustrations. It’s not only a service they provide but activities as well.